Students in 14 Charlotte-area schools have made a special commitment to education this school year. These students--including 34 from FreeMoreWest's own Philip O. Berry Academy of Technology--have been actively participating in the Mayor's Youth Employment Program (MYEP) since arriving at school in August. These students--seeking to expand their skills as they prepare for the world of work--began by attending 9 hours of skills training focusing on job readiness, customer service, and financial literacy.
How FreeMoreWest Businesses Can Help: The MYEP is truly a community initiative, born from support of local educators, government leaders, and businesses alike--all groups realizing that an educated and skilled workforce is the lynchpin to Charlotte's success. You can make a difference in the life of today's youth while shaping tomorrow's workforce. Visit the FMW website to see how you can get involved.
FreeMoreWest Partners became the organization you know and love in 2010. We started with a handful of dedicated west side businesses hoping to bring positivity and growth to our neighborhood, and have been working hard ever since!
The additions of FreeMoreWest.com, our Facebook and Twitter pages and the newsletter you are reading have helped us get the good work and good word out about the FreeMoreWest corridor. In three short years we've gained over 300 enthusiastic followers on each social media site and we've added 4 annual events, including our signature 5K on the Greenway and Taste of FreeMore events.
In 2013, we celebrated these exciting accomplishments:
- We were recognized as an official hood of Charlotte in Creative Loafing's Battle of the Hoods
- Compare Foods opened a new grocery store on Freedom
- We had two corporate relocations to FMW: Imperial Black and Southern Apartment Group
- The Charlotte Fencing Academy opened its doors
- We gained 11 new members for a total of 37 members!
- Over 550 people attended the Taste of FreeMore
- A new charter school started construction and several new developments were announced
- We got our very own neighborhood Dunkin' Donuts...that's a big deal!
Thank you to everyone that has supported our initiative, including the sponsors you see listed on the right side of this newsletter- we couldn't do it without your support!
you have news items or ads you would like included in a newsletter,
please email email@example.com